Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

I knew it was going to happen...

so why did it hit me so hard?  I planned to go to two stores today - Royal Standard and Sam's...and since I couldn't remember the last time I washed my hair, I figured it might need it - I mean, probably not, but what the hell...

wet hair, lather with shampoo, rinse...but it didn't stop there...handfuls of hair came out...this was not your regular "post pregnancy hair loss".... this was chemo hair loss... and pardon the pun... but I lost it....

In a ball on the shower floor I cried until the hot water ran cold...I sobbed until my insides hurt...Just about some stupid hair...

And then I got out of the shower, turned up the heat since my lips were blue, got dressed and headed out on my errands.  It has continued to fall out all day and when I called a fellow chemo patient, she said when hers started to fall out on a Monday, she was bald by Friday...

Thank goodness I bought some pretty scarves at Royal Standard's sale today - looks like I'll be using them a little earlier than expected...The doctor said hair loss starts anywhere from 2 to 5 weeks after the first chemo session... Did I really have to be an over achiever in this particular situation??

Going to download "tying the turban" from the net - Wish me luck!

10 comments:

Sandy said...

Hang in there. I know we consider it our crowning glory, but really it's just a bunch of celuloid. Easy for me to say. If you could use some white hair, I'll send you come of mine. I have enought for three families.

Debby Schuh said...

I'm sorry... it's got to be so hard, I can't even imagine. But it will grow back and be thicker and prettier than ever! Do you have a wig ready to go? My good friend who had cancer had some of her own hair sewn into the front of a scarf as bangs and it looked nice for the days when she didn't feel like wearing the wig. I know you're one of the lucky ones that are beautiful anyway!!!

Vivian said...

I would have like to make an attempt at a feeble joke; but it kept coming out stupid in my post; so I guess I will pass on it for now...just know I am thinking about you and praying for you and your family...God only made a few perfect heads; the rest he put hair on....I love you....

karin said...

Ohhhhh....I remember that day so well. Go through the emotions.....it's hard...really hard. For me it wasn't neccesarily about the hair loss, but more about how now I looked sick. Before I could sneak around as an undercover cancer patient. Now, I looked like a cancer patient. I feel your pain. I'm here to tell you that it will and does grow back. There are couple positives though.....like the fact that your leg hair falls out too....no more shaving! And, your shower time is cut down drastically...and...No more bed head.....hugs, Karin

Karin said...

For some reason it logged me into a different account....

Paula D said...

I hate that you have to endure this season of your life. I have no idea what you must be feeling, but here's my perspective (as simple-minded as it is): You have absolutely beautiful eyes that actually smile when your mouth smiles! Accentuate those eyes... head on over to Sephora for the most fun eyelashes you will ever see, buy a couple of sets, along with dramatic eye shadow... put the attention where you want it!

If you want a shopping buddy, please, please, please let me know!

Lots of hugs!

Kristen said...

I know that telling you how it'll grow back more georgeous than ever isn't going to make this feel any better right now, so go ahead and cry. It's okay. Then pull out some fun earrings and remember that you are still the same beautiful you. ((Hugs))

Ali said...

Everyone has said it, but it's true - with a smile as beautiful as yours, who's going to notice your hair? I know it's got to be incredibly difficult and I wish I had something brilliant to say to ease the ache. **HUG**

Barb said...

Extra prayers with you on this step....but you are beautiful everywhere that it counts. Follow your blog....we met briefly at Scrap ETC years ago, but thinking of you often.

Anonymous said...

Heather, I just want you to know that you are a strong woman and your wit and humor will get you through this. I am praying for you and admire your strength through all of this.

Wendi McLain Riles