Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Just a little spot...

That's what the neurologist said this morning when going over the results from my MRI.  Then followed up with, "It's nothing - don't worry about it".

Let's see - I seem to remember hearing those words before, and it didn't end very well...  I suggested to the neurologist that we maybe keep an eye on this "little spot" and retest at periodic intervals - but no, he said there was no need...

OK - maybe HE doesn't think there is a need, but it's MY brain here...and I also know how fast things go from Stage 1 to Stage 4...So what do I do?  Walk right out of the building and call Dr. Spell (my oncologist) and leave a blubbering idiot-like message directing him straight to the fax machine for my MRI results

I only cried for half of the 50 minutes until Dr. Spell called me - pretty good, I think...He agreed that the spot is "nothing" but suggested that we recheck the "little spot" periodically...See - that's what I'm talking about...I like some reassurance periodically

If it was up to me, I'd have daily PET scans and MRIs - just to check...helps me sleep ya' know...

I might need to change neurologists, maybe to one who understands my need to sleep at night...

4 comments:

Ali said...

I don't blame you for wanting to check it out - I'd be that way too. We'll say a prayer that your little spot disappears soon.

Kim Filby said...

I wish I could say that you'll be worry free at some point, but I don't think that's possible. Every single day I worry that I will have a recurrence. It is unsettling, but in a way its a reminder to be happy right now. It's hard, but I'm with you :-)

Kelly said...

I've got to agree with you. If it is significant enough to mention, then it is significant enough to follow up. I am glad your Oncologist agreed because I would have been ordering it for you had he not!

lilly riera said...

Ugh!!!!! i know exactly what you mean... for a survivor,
"nothing to worry about" is the last thing we want to hear and some doctors who don't deal with survivor people don't realize our worries for even a sorethroat sometimes. thankfully oncologists "get it" prayers your way and wishing many, many good sleeping nights.
These mind game us cancer survivors live are something hard to explain to others. love to ya!!!