Pages

Thursday, May 12, 2011

A Dieter's Delight...

Chemo hair loss - no problem...Chemo weight gain....WAY more disturbing...See for me, hair is an accessory - I've dyed it red, highlighted it, chopped it off, grew it long, and now lost it completely...so to me, it's like wearing earrings or not...no biggie...

But gaining 40 pounds (45 after the Mother's Crawfish Boil, thank you very much), is a blow to me...a girl who has struggled with her weight all of her life.  Don't you just hate when you look back on pictures when you "thought you were overweight", and now just long to be that size again!!

So here I go again...sticking to a diet regime...passing up the Cane's chicken finger (and more importantly the sauce) and choosing the broccoli spear instead...

I'm not trying to sell you on this, people...I'm not quite sold myself...


I can totally admit that I'm a food whore...Given the choice of 2 ounces of my FAVORITE Cambozola Cheese at 200 calories (I discovered Cambozola 13 years ago on my honeymoon in Napa Valley, and, seriously, my life was forever altered) or 6 1/2 cups of salt-free, butter-free popcorn - give me the cardboard... I mean popcorn...I'm just a "more is more" kinda girl....
 
And this time, while I'm going all food healthy, I'm also keeping the "cancer diet" in mind.  No matter which one you look at, everyone suggests sticking with plant based foods vs. animal based foods.  So this week, I'm on the hunt for little changes - like instead of turkey on my Subway salad, a 1/2 cup of chick peas is about the same amount of calories and more filling...of course I have to actually remember to bring the chick peas to work FOR the salad....damn...that might be the hardest part...
 
Today I am armed with my chick peas, edamame, broccoli, 2 green teas and a Coke Zero- hey, I'm not perfect - this girls gotta have her "crack"
 
I'm also checking in with the One Weigh folks today for a little support on the "healthy eating" plan (I try not to say the word "diet" in front of the girls).  Oh...funny story...in a twisted sick way...
 
We were driving home on Monday, and I was talking to the nurse at my Gastroenterologist's office.  I told her that I would stop by and see her on Thursday when I was at the Digestive Health Center for the One Weigh meeting... and I mentioned the 40 pound weight gain...Later, when I attempted a walk around the block, Morgan, oh precious one, said, "Mommy, I bet it's hard to walk around the block since you gained 40 pounds..."
 
And just another reminder that your children HEAR and REMEMBER everything!!
 
I"ll keep you posted on my progress...see if I actually tell you that I'm trying...then the pressure is on...I can't just go all "Margarita and chips crazy"!!!
 
 
 

No comments: