Pages

Thursday, November 9, 2017

And we have a plan!

MDA called yesterday.  They weren't able to test the material from the lymph node biopsy, but the cancer is in my bone marrow so they were able to test that.  Cancer being present in the bone marrow wasn't exactly ideal and it lessens my chance of being able to use my own stem cells, but still I have a chance.  It's 50/50 whether I'll need a donor or can use my own.  They won't know until the three rounds of chemo are done.  They have to see if the chemo kills the cancer in the bone marrow - never a good idea to harvest sick stem cells and stick them back in.... The best news is the same cancer I had in 2011 is back.  That's great because it's curable - apparently it can return but it's "curable" each time.  Now let's get this straight, I prefer that this doesn't become a "thing".  I don't want to personally test HOW MANY times a person can survive Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma.  Is someone listening?????

For people who have done this before (and I hope you haven't), in 2011 I had R-CHOP chemo.  This time I'll have R-ICE chemo.  R-CHOP was an outpatient situation (go to the doctor's office and sit in a chair for 8 hours and then go home).  Since EVERYTHING IS BIGGER IN TEXAS, R-ICE requires me to be inpatient.  So here's house it goes:

Monday - drive to Houston and TRY and sleep through the nerves

Tuesday - see the doctor in the morning, get admitted to hospital and start the chemo drip

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday - watch chemo drip painfully slow through the IV.  Play pin the tail on the donkey, Sudoku and lots of UNO.  Catch up on trashy BRAVO TV (lord I hope MDA has BRAVO) and try to read an inspirational book (this is for looks).  This first time I plan to address my Christmas cards, but cancer makes my handwriting really wonky (as evidenced by 2010 time when my sister Jen grabbed then from my hands and refused to let me write them).   But I have three days, I'm going to go slowly - but feel free to laugh at the old lady wobbly handwriting when the card arrives...  You're welcome.

Saturday - discharge and maybe drive home?  But if I feel terrible we can stay in the apartment and drive home on Sunday.  PS - This time Shane will be with me Monday - Wednesday and my sister Ashley will take over from Wed to Saturday.

Now if you are reading this and laughing at me bc you REALLY know how this whole thing is going down - PLEASE LET ME KNOW.  I've asked a ton of questions but they could be giving me the rainbow and unicorn version.

I will be at MDA for chemo from Nov 13 - 18, Dec 4 - 9 (birthday party at the MDA - whoop whoop) and Dec 26 - 30.  Here's the GREAT news - I will be home for Thanksgiving, Avery's bday, Shane's bday, all the Christmas family parties and Christmas morning.  If I had to pick a perfect schedule this would be it!

Now once these chemos are over I move from the Lymphoma doctor to the Stem Cell doctor and that process starts. That one isn't nearly as accommodating bc it includes 6-7 weeks where I'll be in Houston.  Clearly cancer doesn't care that I will completely miss Mardi Gras 2018.

I can't wait to start gathering the true story of  MDA in-patient stay.  It's going to be a list of "what not to do" bc I'm sure to break all the rules.

A few people have asked about a meal train.  I don't cook, so when people I know need food they get a Costco rotisserie chicken and the Costco Mac-n-cheese.  But for those of you that enjoy cooking (insert eye roll) feel free to sign up on this site.  Ashley will open up more dates now that we have an idea of what's going on.  My family prefers filet mignon and shrimp kabobs ;)
https://mealtrain.com/wo5y0e

Jim Gaffigan was hilarious and I'll be sure to download and watch every one of his specials next week.  I hope that there is a lot of laughter coming out of my room!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

♡♡ you are a true inspiration to me ♡♡

Wendy said...

Bless your heart! I can always make a casserole for you guys. My busy time is right now until after xmas with door decorating... but I am free after that. I can also have my hubby come and visit you at MDA if you want company... we are pretty familiar with it! Love you girl and will keep you all in my heart and prayers!

Barbara ryals said...

Heather, Mr. Buddy and I are here to support you in this!It has been years since we were neighbors but not long since you were our tax guru. Our prayers are with you and your beautiful family.you are truly a special person. Love,Miss Barbara

Anonymous said...

Heather Your Amazing!

No doubt "Mr. C" decided to move in the wrong house. The eviction notice is on its way from MDA. Your "Hilltoppper" family sends you a hug, more hugs, and four more for now. You know those Hodge Podgers are anxious to stir those spoons and cook up some down home meals for your cutie pies!

We love you!

All your fans and friends from the Hilltop.

Unknown said...

I enjoy your humor and admire your strength. I was a busy Mom when I was diagnosed with Aplastic Anemia, bone marrow failure, in 2010. I tried to work, laugh and pray my way through it too! A 2015 bone marrow transplant gave me a renewed body! I’ll pray that yours is coming too! Stay strong and stay faithful. God is good!

INVEST WITH $200 AND GET A RETURNS OF $2,000 said...

Invest with 200$ and get a returns of 5,000$ within seven business working days.
Why wasting your precious time online looking for a loan? When there is an opportunity for you to invest with 200$ and get a returns of 5,000$ within seven business working days. Contact us now for more information if interested on how you can earn big with just little amount. This is all about investing into Crude Oil and Gas Business.

Email: HappyInvestment-world_inc@protmail.com