Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

a follow-up with Dr. Chamberlain...

after five days at home with very little improvement, Shane and I went to see my Primary Care Doctor...our biggest concerns was the pain in my arm and shoulder and my overall weakness and sluggishness...

We found out that the "textbook" recovery time for viral meningitis is 4 to 6 weeks, and Dr. Chamberlain said to expect nothing less than 2 weeks.  Just having an established timeline for recovery is calming, it takes the mystery out of it...the unknown just causes worry...

Secondly, we found out that the pain in my arm and shoulder is from thrombosis...I don't know if I can explain it exactly, but while I was in the hospital, the veins in my hands, wrists and arms were blown...so now the veins are making little clots to repair themselves, plus blood is flowing through different veins while the usual ones are healing...I'm supposed to keep heating pads on the painful spots until they heal enough and I start to get relief...

Dr. Chamberlain told me to find things I want to eat (I've had very little appetite), so I can get stronger and my mom just ordered a natural vitamin with immune boosters, so I'll start on that as well...

I'm much less anxious tonight after meeting with the doctor...I know the road to recovery is long, but at least I know I'm on the right road...

Funny how two doctors in the last week have asked me if I have to go back to work...the medical community doesn't seem to think that is a part of the recovery plan...luckily Ashley, Lucy and "my Italian Angel" are handling everything just perfectly...

now off to bed with Morgan...


1 comment:

Terri said...

you always remain in my thoughts and prayers