Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Chronic illness...

I've kind of had the crash course of "living with cancer" over the last month.  I used to think that people got cancer, got chemo, got cured and lived happily ever after...

And I still hope that does happen, but I don't think it's the norm....

30 or 40 years ago Cancer was considered an Acute Illness - meaning rapid onset and short duration - the duration was short because it quickly ended in the pearly gates...Fast forward to today, and Cancer is now considered a Chronic Illness - ie - long lasting with relapses and periods of remission...

What the "What to Expect During Cancer" book doesn't mention is that even though the cancer might be gone, that same cancer could have caused a host of other problems - some lifelong...and that part sucks...bad...

Anyway, I am having a few issues right now, which if occurred individually would be nothing, but when you lump them all together they become "suspicious"...and we all know what "suspicious" means...the "suspicions" will either be confirmed or hopefully denied after my scans this week...too bad the five day waiting period is a test of patience...and deep breathing...and xanax...

If these issues aren't cancer, then I move to Plan B -and figure out what they are.  Starting with a rheumatology workup to determine if it's an auto-immune related disease...and I have no idea what any of that means and I don't intend to speculate...I learned a year ago...DON'T SPECULATE...

but what I know for sure is that cancer isn't an isolated thing, it doesn't live in a vacuum...once it takes hold, it makes sure to keep popping up...probably when you least expect it...and that doesn't make me laugh...not one bit...but other things do make me laugh, so I concentrate on those...

kind of like my sweet birthday girl Avery this week with her new tutu wearing dog Coco...



A tutu wearing dog...now that's funny stuff!!

5 comments:

Jeanne Pellerin said...

Praying that you get reassuring news, and for your peace of mind in the meantime.

Karin said...

yep..that's exactly how it is. I just went through a bone scan to see if a year old cracked rib is simply a cracked rib or some thing more sinister. Turns out its just a cracked rib caused by all the radiation I received. So glad to see you are doing better. Michelle said she saw you in New York....hope you had fun. I told her I'm going next time! Take care....Karin

Jenn said...

you're in my prayers daily. Wishing you patience, perseverance and peace through this!

Unknown said...

You need a really Happy Birthday this year, so I am sending in extra prayers that everything turns out perfect for you!

Erin D said...

Hang in there Heather, we're praying for you and sending good thoughts your way. Love reading your blog - am catching up on your last several posts now.
Take care - Erin

ps-loved your 'life lessons/perspectives' post. I can't say I know what you have been through, but appreciate your thoughts and advice. :)